Westernport is located along the Georges Creek Valley in Allegany County. It received its name in the mid 1790’s when the area that was once known as “Hardscrabble” for its rocky soil, was changed to Westernport for being the western-most navigable port on the Potomac River. Incorporated in 1859, the .87 square mile town of Westernport is fixed on the edge of Maryland and is relatively close to Keyser, West Virginia.
As of 2011, the population in Westernport is 1,934 people with 803 households within the town limits. This statistic illustrates the cooperative neighborhood spirit that the locals take pride in. Westernport has a strong civic nature and the citizens are truly a “close nit” community. The beautiful views and mountain wildlife would be enough to draw in any nature lover, and, coupled with its great community, Westernport is an ideal place to settle down.